This recipe makes for a beautiful summer bake, combining orange citrus notes and delightful floral tones from the lavender. Best served warm and enjoyed al fresco.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 3 Valencia oranges
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp edible lavender (plus more for garnishing)
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 200g unsalted butter
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 4bsp icing sugar
- 2 tbsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Grease and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
3. Down the centre, sprinkle a line of edible lavender into the tin.
4. Keeping the rind on, thinly slice 1 orange. Lay the slices on the bottom of the tin to cover the lavender. Overlap the slices to ensure a stunning finish on the bake.
5. In a bowl, cream together the sugar and butter with a wooden spoon.
6. Whisk in each egg, one at a time until fully combined.
7. Sift in the flour and fold until mixture is smooth.
8. Add the zest and juice of 1 ½ oranges. Mix well until combined.
9. Ladle the batter into the loaf tin, ensuring not to move the orange slices and lavender crumb.
10. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and skewer comes out clean. Set the loaf aside to cool in the tin.
11. Once cooled, loosen the loaf edges. Place a platter on top and turn it over to release the loaf with the orange slices on top. Peel off and discard the greaseproof paper.
12. In a saucier, combine the juice of 1 orange with the icing sugar and the water.
13. Place the saucier on a medium heat and stir continuously until the liquid becomes a syrup.
14. Remove the syrup from the heat and pour over the cooling sponge.
15. Allow the syrup to be absorbed. Best enjoyed when still warm.