Enjoy a classic, fruity cake, packed full of plump tea-infused sultanas and raisins. Slice it into thick wedges and spread with salted butter for a satisfying treat.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 170g sultanas
- 170g raisins
- 1 orange, zested
- 300ml hot strong Earl Grey or Lady Grey tea
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 250g self-raising flour
- 200g light soft brown sugar butter, for greasing, plus extra to serve
1. Mix the sultanas, raisins and orange zest in a large mixing bowl. Pour over the tea and cover the bowl. Leave to sit for a minimum of 6 hours or ideally overnight to allow the dried fruit to soak up all the liquid.
2. Heat the oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin. Add the eggs, flour and sugar to the soaked fruit, ensuring everything is well combined. Spoon the mixture into the tin and place in the centre of the oven for 1 hour 30 mins or until firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin for 15 mins before transferring to a wire rack.
3. Cut into thick slices and serve with butter. To store, wrap tightly and keep in an airtight container for up to five days. The loaf will taste even better after a few days.
Credit: Esther Clark