Give burgers a street food makeover with this sriracha-glazed chicken burger with pickled cabbage & cucumber relish, served in a brioche bun.
- 4 large boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated or crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely grated
- 4 broiche burger buns, halved to serve
For the pickled cabbage:
- 150ml cider vinegar
- 75g golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ Chinese cabbage, or pointed cabbage shredded
For the relish:
- ½ cucumber, coarsely grated
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 lime, zested and juiced.
For the glaze:
- 3 tbsp American mustard
- 2 tbsp sriracha
1. Flatten the chicken thighs out be lightly bashing them between two pieces of baking parchment with a rolling pin., then put in a sealable container with garlic, paprika, chilli, ginger and a pinch of salt. Massage the mix into the meat, then cill until read to cook for at least an hour or up to 24 hours.
2. To pickle the cabbage, put the vinegar, sugar, coriander seeds and turmeric in a pan and bring to the oil to dissolve the sugar. Take off the heat and stir in the shredded cabbage, ensuring it's completely immersed in the liquid. Cover and leave to cool.
3. For the relish, sprinkle the cucumber with a little salt and leave for 10 minutes. Squeeze our the liquid, then stir the cucumber through the mayo and lime juice and set aside. For the glaze, mix the mustard and sriracha together in a separate bowl.
4. Heat a grill to its' highest setting. Grill the chicken for 5 minutes on one side, then flip and continue to cook, brushing with the glaze a few times until sticky, glossy and cooked through.
5. Toast the buns, spoon some cabbage onto the base, place the chicken on top then dollop a generous amount of the cooling cucumber relish over the chicken before closing the buns and serving.
Credit: Tom Kerridge