This recipe celebrates the delicate and fluffy madeleine with a balanced infusion of citrus orange and floral thyme. They make the perfect treat for a summertime afternoon tea.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 18 Madeleines
- 3 eggs
- 100g golden caster sugar
- Zest of 2 orange, plus 2 tbsp juice
- 85g plain flour
- 4 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 125g lightly salted butter, melted
For the Drizzle:
- 60ml water
- 60ml sugar
- 125ml fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven at 190C.
- In a stand mixer, add the eggs and sugar and beat for 5 minutes. The mixture should be a thick consistency.
- Whisk in the orange zest until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cornflour and baking powder.
- Using a metal spoon, gently fold the egg mixture into the flour then pour in the 100g of melted butter. Mix until a batter is formed.
- Rest the batter in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease a madeleine tray with the remaining melted butter then set aside for 2 minutes.
- Next, dust each mould with a little flour. Shake to cast and remove any excess.
- Pipe 2 tablespoons of batter into each mould – don’t go over ¾ as there must be space to rise.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until risen, peaked in the middle and golden in colour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1 minute, then delicately transfer to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile prepare the drizzle. Add water, sugar, orange juice and half the thyme leaves to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring and the remove from heat.
- Brush the warm madeleines with the hot syrup then sprinkle with the remaining fresh thyme.
- Allow the madeleines to cool completely and then serve.