Mango, Cardamom & Pistachio Mille Foie
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 115g icing sugar, plus more for dusting
- 300g puff pastry
- 1 mango, diced
- A handful of pistachios, roughly chopped
For the cardamom cream:
- 250ml double cream
- 235g icing sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- 1 lemon, juice, and zest
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed
- For the pastry, line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper. Dust your work surface with lots of icing sugar. Roll out your pastry into a rectangle just larger than 27 x 30cm. The pastry sheet should be very thin, as thin as possible without stretching the pastry. Trim the edges to ensure they’re straight.
- Cut out 18 rectangles about 9cm long and 5cm wide then transfer them to the baking tray. Sprinkle with icing sugar and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and place another baking tray on top to ensure its pressed thin. Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven and sprinkle icing sugar over the pastry.
- Return to the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- For the cardamom cream, add 50ml of the cream and cardamom pods to a saucepan. Bring to the boil then set aside with the lid on. Strain the cream in a large bowl then pour in the remaining cream, icing sugar, and vanilla. Whip until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold in the lemon zest and juice, to taste.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm straight nozzle.
- To construct, place a pastry thin on a plate then pipe pebbles of cream over the pastry.
- Place the mango and pistachios between the cream then add another pastry thin. Repeat with two more layers. To serve, dust the top layer of cream, mango, and pistachios with icing sugar.