Serve your vegetable curry Caribbean style, flavoured with thyme, jerk seasoning and red peppers - great with rice and peas.
Preparation Time: 50 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- 2 onions, 1 diced, 1 roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g ginger, roughly chopped
- Small bunch coriander, leaves and stalks separated
- 3 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp demerara sugar
- 2 vegetable stock cubes, crumbled
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 450g jar roasted red pepper, cut into thick slices
- Gently soften the diced onion in the sunflower oil in a big pan or casserole.
- Meanwhile, whizz together the roughly chopped onion, ginger, coriander stalks and jerk seasoning with a hand-held blender. Add to the softened onion and fry until fragrant. Stir in the thyme, chopped tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and stock cubes with 600ml water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, then drop in the sweet potaties and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Stir in the beans, peppers and some seasoning, and simmer for another 5 minutes until the potatoes are almost tender. Cool and chill for up to 2 days.
- To serve, gently heat through on the hob. Roughly chop most of the coriander leaves and stir in, then serve scattered with the remaining leaves.
Credit: Sarah Cook