These iconic biscuits were originally mades to send to the ANZACs (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) serving in Gallipoli.
Preparation Time: 35 Minutes
Makes: 20 Biscuits
- 85g porridge oat
- 85g desiccated coconut
- 100g plain flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbonate syrup.
- Heat oven to 180°C/fan, 160°C/gas 4. Put the oats, coconut, flour and sugar in a bowl. Melt the butter in a small pan and stir in the golden syrup. Add the bicarbonate of soda to 2 tbsp boiling water, and then stir into the golden syrup and butter mixture.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the butter and golden syrup mixture. Stir gently to incorporate all the dry ingredients.
- Put dessert spoonfuls of the mixture onto buttered baking sheets, about 2.5cm/1inch apart to allow room for spreading.
- Bake in batches for 8-10 minutes until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Credit: Good Food