Sesame, Halloumi Courgette Fritters with Chilli Honey Drizzle
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 8 Minutes (+ Draining)
- 2 medium courgettes, grated
- ½ tsp sea salt, plus extra to serve
- 30g self-raising flour
- 20g rice or cornflour
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tsp mint leaves, finely chopped
- 80g halloumi, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 lemons, zested
- To make the chilli honey drizzle, warm the honey, 2 tbsp water, chilli flakes and lemon zest in a small pan until bubbling and syrupy, about 3 mins. Put the courgettes in a sieve and sprinkle over the salt. Allow to drain for 30 mins, then use your hands to squeeze out the liquid – you want them as dry as possible.
- Combine the flours, sesame seeds, and pepper in a bowl. Add the mint, halloumi, and courgette, and toss lightly to combine. Crack in the eggs and use a fork to stir them into the mixture along with the spring onions. Stir until you have a thick batter.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large, heavy-bottomed non-stick frying pan and swirl to coat the base. Add 2 heaped tbsp of the batter for each fritter, flattening them down with a spatula, and fry for a couple of minutes until golden. Flip them over and press down with the spatula, then fry for another few minutes until golden and cooked all the way through. Drain on kitchen paper and season with a few flakes of sea salt. Drizzle with the chilli honey to serve.
Credit: Rosie Birkitt