Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
- 1kg ripe mixed tomatoes, halved if small
- 300g day-old sourdough or ciabatta, torn into large chunks
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 50g tin anchovies, drained and roughly chopped
- 100g black olives, pitted
- Large handful of basil leaves, torn
Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Put the tomatoes into a colander and sprinkle over 1 tsp sea salt, then leave to sit for 15 minutes.
Spread the chunks of bread out on a baking tray and toss with 1 tbsp of the oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
In a bowl, whisk together the remaining oil, the vinegar, and shallot. Season to taste. Toss the anchovies with the tomatoes, croutons, olive oil dressing, olives, and half the basil in a large bowl. Spoon the panzanella onto a serving plate and top with the remaining basil.
Credit: Esther Clark