Marmalade & Whiskey Bread & Butter Pudding
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1 Hour (+30 Minutes Soaking)
- 8 slices of day-old crusty white bread, crusts removed
- 50g very soft butter
- 4 tbsp Seville orange marmalade, plus 4 tsp
- 300ml full-fat milk
- 248ml pot of double cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds
- 4 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp whiskey
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Butter each piece of bread on both sides, then spread 4 with the 1 tbsp marmalade each. Pop the remaining bread on top to make 4 marmalade sandwiches. Cut into triangles and nestle in rows in a large baking dish. Heat oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Beat the milk, cream, eggs, vanilla, sugar, and whiskey together, then pour over the bread. Leave to soak for 30 mins.
- Dot the remaining marmalade all over the top of the pud and dust with the icing sugar. Bake for 45 mins-1 hr or until puffy and starting to caramelise where the bread breaks out of the custard. Serve hot or warm.
Credit: Jane Hornby