Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Chilling time: 1 hour
Originating in the Ivory Coast, this chilled but peppery avocado soup is a perfect vegetarian starter for summer dinner parties.
Avocado is of course bursting with protein, fibre and vitamins, so you can indulge without feeling guilty. You can also add a swirl of yoghurt, croutons, a sprig of parsley or a slice of lime as an extra special garnish.
- 4 avocados – ripe, green and tender
- 1 litre cold vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp natural yoghurt or crème fraiche
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Carefully halve your avocados, take out the stone and scoop the flesh from the skin.
- Puree the flesh with a blender, while gradually adding the cold vegetable stock.
- Add the lemon juice, Tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper, and stir in the yoghurt. The soup should be of a smooth consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper if required.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour or so, until fully chilled.
- Serve in separate soup bowls and garnish.