The ultimate roast goose that’s laced with rich tasting notes. This recipe is a timeless classic with a modern twist that celebrates earthy and foraged flavours.
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 2 Hours
- 5kg oven-ready goose
- 1 red onion (quartered)
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 3 figs (sliced vertically)
- Sea salt (flaked)
- Cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp goose fat (reserved from cooking the goose)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 1 cooking apple (peeled, cored and quartered)
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 500g sausage meat
- 2 tbsp fresh sage leaves (finely chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the goose on a rack over a large roasting tin and score three times down each side below the wing.
- Rub the salt and pepper onto the goose evenly then insert the onion and 3 of the sage leaves into the body cavity.
- Cover the legs in tin foil and roast the goose for one hour.
- Remove from the oven and place the goose on a board to rest, allowing the fat to drain into a large heatproof bowl.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180C and roast the goose for a further hour, having removed the tin foil to allow the legs to brown.
- To ensure it’s cooked, pierce the thigh and apply pressure to the leg and check that clear juices run out.
- Transfer the goose to a server platter and cover loosely with foil then let rest for 30 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200°C.
- For the stuffing, heat the goose fat in a large frying pan and fry the onions until lightly browned.
- Add the apple to the pan alongside the sugar until lightly caramelised. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Incorporate the breadcrumbs, sausage meat and sage into the apple mixture then season with salt and pepper. Place in a greased shallow baking tin and spread evenly.
- Brush both sides of the sliced figs with olive oil and place them alongside the stuffing.
- Bake the stuffing and figs for 20 minutes until the stuffing is cooked through.
- Place the figs and remaining sage leaves on and around the goose then return to the oven for 20 minutes to heat up.
- Carve and serve the goose with the stuffing at the table.