In Spain, the main meal during the Christmas period is held on Christmas Eve. This is known as Pavo Trufado de Navidad and usually includes truffle-stuffed turkey.
Those with a sweet tooth will enjoy tucking into a piece of Turrón. Packed full of honey and toasted almonds, the Spanish treat is something for the whole family to enjoy.
Prep time: Allow 3-4 days before serving
1 egg white
100g caster sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp ground cinnamon
200g almond kernels, toasted
- Whisk the egg white until fluffy and forms small peaks.
- In a small saucepan, mix together the honey and sugar, and cook on a medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved and a thick mixture is formed.
- Remove from the heat and fold in the egg white until smooth.
- Add the lemon zest, cinnamon and almond kernels. Stir until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Line a container with a sheet of baking paper. Pour the mixture into the container and smooth out to about 1cm thick. Top with another baking sheet and weigh down using a chopping board.
- Leave to dry – usually for 3-4 days – then cut into squares and serve.