Prep time: 4-5 hours
Cook time: 30 mins
Popular in Bangladesh, Pitha are little dumplings filled with spiced pulses, usually eaten for breakfast or as a snack with a cup of tea.
While sweet fillings and fried varieties are also common, steamed Dal Pitha is a healthy option all the family will love.
- 500g chana dal
- 250g rice or wheat flour
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp coriander leaves
- Soak the chana dal for 4 hours.
- Drain and add the green chilli, coriander and garlic before blending into a paste.
- On your Britannia hob, heat around half a litre of water and add the flour and cumin seeds.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, then mix and knead by hand until it forms a dough. Divide into 6 equal chunks.
- Form one of the chunks into a flat circle and place a spoonful of filling inside. Seal the edges to form a half moon shape.
- Steam the Pitha for 15 minutes, or microwave for 2 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite chutney.