Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
An Australian staple, the meat pie is straightforward and satisfying. Down under, it's a popular takeaway snack for sports fans, but it can be served with mash, veg and a dollop of ketchup for a main course.
Your family will love the thick and flavoursome meat filling under a golden crust - and you'll love how simple it is to make.
- 500g lean beef mince
- Ready rolled shortcrust pastry (enough for 4 pie bases)
- Ready rolled puff pastry (enough for 4 pie lids)
- 180ml beef stock
- 180ml tomato sauce/passata
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp Marmite (or Vegemite if you can find it)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat your Britannia to 220C/450F/Gas 8.
- Finely chop the onion and fry in oil until soft. Add the mince and cook on high until browned.
- Mix the cornflour, Marmite and stock to form a paste. Add to the mince, bring to the boil, and simmer until thickened. Leave the mixture to cool slightly.
- Grease four pie dishes. Use circles of shortcrust pastry to line the dishes up to the rim. Pour a quarter of the mince mixture into each, then place a circle of puff pastry over the top. Use a dab of water to ensure the lid sticks to the base.
- Brush the top of each pie with the beaten egg, sprinkle with cracked black pepper or herbs if desired, and make a small hole in the lid.
- Preheat your Britannia range cooker to 220C/450F/Gas 8 using Quickstart – it should take a matter of minutes. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and puffy on the top.