Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
They may just be rice and beans, but Costa Ricans swear by Gallo Pinto – and your family will love the simple but flavoursome combination.
Serve it with eggs fried on your Chef Top for a protein-packed breakfast, or as a delicious side with your choice of griddled meat and fried plantains.
- 400g tin of black beans
- 400g dry long grain rice
- 750ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- Finely chop the onion and coriander.
- Fry the dry rice in a little oil for a minute or so before adding the onion, garlic and coriander, and fry for another couple of minutes until the onion is softened.
- Add the stock and cumin, and bring to the boil before covering and leaving to simmer for 25 minutes – the rice should be just getting tender.
- Add the beans to the rice and sauté together until all the water is absorbed and the beans are cooked through.
- Serve - garnish with a sprig of coriander, chopped spring onion or red pepper for a touch of freshness.