Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
If your family likes meat, you'll love these little Serbian spiced sausages that combine three different kinds. Sometimes known as Balkan meatballs, they're popular in countries such as Croatia and Serbia, but are known as the national dish in Bosnia & Herzegovina.
They make an interesting alternative to hot dogs – the Bosnian tradition is to serve Cevapi in a flatbread, with fried onions, cheese sauce, yoghurt, and a squeeze of lemon. But of course, you can serve them however you like.
- 680g/1.5lb ground pork
- 450g/1lb ground lean beef
- 225g/0.5lb ground lamb
- 1 egg white
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- Take a large bowl, and combine the ground meats. Stir in the egg white to bind.
- Add the seasonings and mix well.
- Time to get your hands dirty – roll up and shape the meat into sausages using your hands, using about one handful per sausage.
- Put the sausages under the hot preheated grill element of your Britannia, or use the griddle on your gas hob. Cook for about 30 minutes, turning regularly, until sizzling and golden.